Pages

Friday, January 12, 2024

721. Concrete

Concrete
Thomas Bernhard
1982
Around 160 pages



















In Samuel Beckett's hands, I might have been repulsed by what is essential a 160 page monologue with no separate paragraphs. But there was something about Bernhard's dark humor that really worked for me. I also like it when our narrator waxes poetic about a physical ailment. There's a lot of drama just in the functions of a human being.

Our delightfully introspective narrator Rudolf is a Viennese musicologist with sarcoidosis. If that doesn't push all the right buttons for you, I'm not sure what would. I find it amusing when characters go on long rants about a litany of complaints, especially on something as relatable as writer's block. There is a lot to complain about on this planet, and people who "can't complain" are just uninspired.

It was also entertaining how much he hated his sister, and led to some laugh out loud moments for me. Thomas Bernhard, you are working your way into my shriveled heart.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

New edition was published in 2012.

UP NEXT: July's People by Nadine Gordimer

No comments: