Pages

Saturday, November 4, 2023

654. The Black Prince

The Black Prince
Iris Murdoch
1973
Around 365 pages



















When somebody asks me what my favorite novel of all time is, well, first I slap them for their impertinence. Then I apologize and explain that favorite is a tier, and I couldn't possible pick one book. The Black Prince definitely qualifies as a top tier masterpiece. 

Our main character is Bradley Pearson, a London author. He shares a friendship and literary rivalry with Arnold Baffin, who he regards as writing more mainstream, shallow prose. The novel begins with Arnold calling Bradley, afraid that he has accidentally killed his wife Rachel during an argument. Bradley hurries to the Baffins' house, along with his former brother-in-law Francis. Murdoch creates such rich characters that it truly feels like they are driving the plot. Bradley mostly just wants to be left alone so he can write, but Murdoch's characters are so emotionally complex, that they are constantly drawing Bradley into their dramas. The Baffins' 18-year-old daughter Julian begs Bradley to tutor him, and it doesn't take long for Bradley to fall head over heels for her.

I didn't want to give too much away about the dynamics of this novel. The characters are constantly shifting and surprising one another, and there's enough sexual tension to power a host of sex toys. This novel feels like it was made for my personal tastes. I always love it when characters spend time interpreting works of art; it might be my favorite way to get in somebody's head. So Bradley and Julian's discourse on Hamlet was particularly intriguing to me. 

With such a deeply philosophical work, you might think the action might lag, but this is one of the most exciting stories I've ever read. Thank the goddesses for Iris Murdoch. To me, this book is about as close to perfection as you can get.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Shortlisted for the 1973 Booker Prize. She was robbed!

UP NEXT: Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

1 comment:

Diana said...

This was a great book! I have all sorts of sticky notes marking pages and as I flip back through them, I remember there were really funny parts in this. A sometimes frantic story but a good one.A delight!