Pages

Saturday, November 25, 2023

675. Dead Babies

Dead Babies
Martin Amis
1975
Around 210 pages



















RIP Martin Amis, who died recently. Once I tried to take out a book by Amis, and the library let me keep it because it had been so long since anybody checked it out. So I guess he's not that widely read anymore. At the very least, he was better than his father, although I wouldn't call this novel a good demonstration of his talent.

The title is so obviously inflammatory, that you can tell this was designed for edgelords. This is meant to be a parody of Agatha Christie's country house mysteries, and takes place over a single weekend at the Appleseed Rectory. Another drug fuel romp, with all the things men think are funny, like digestive failures and fucked up sex.

Needless to say, I didn't find this amusing. Just an ugly story, and don't we already have plenty of those?

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a film in 2000.

UP NEXT: A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell

1 comment:

Diana said...

I will remember this review and never read the book.