Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2023

680. Amateurs

Amateurs
Donald Barthelme
1976
Around 185 pages



















Once again, the Powers That Be have sneaked a collection of short stories on this List, the crafty bastards. I haven't been too impressed with Donald Barthelme so far, so I was happy to have the opportunity to experience his writing in smaller doses. 

I suppose the Listmakers thought this could pass for one entry because it is such a tonally consistent collection. But just like with albums, there are always going to be some weaker tracks, even if it is an overall decent curation. I did enjoy a few of these, but Barthelme's humor never really lands for me. It often comes across as dated.

Nothing too offensive here, so another meh notch on our bed posts. 

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Wrote over 100 short stories.

UP NEXT: Cutter and Bone by Newton Thornburg

No comments: