Pages

Monday, November 13, 2023

663. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
John le Carre
1974
Around 380 pages







Thanks to my ex, the 1001 movie list, I had already seen the movie adaptation of this novel. I have more fun with spy novels than film/television shows, so I expected this to be a step up from the movie. And I was right! It's rare, but exciting. 

George Smiley is back! And he's trying to uncover a Soviet mole, which I guess had particular relevance since this was penned shortly after the defection of Kim Philby. Le Carre's novels are always a little more grounded in reality than, say, the escapades of James Bond (but I still love you Fleming, my old chum). 

I enjoyed this only slightly less than The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, which had a better ending. Everything was tied up a little too neatly here for it to feel completely realistic. I always love it when novels seamlessly introduce the reader to an entirely new vocabulary, which le Carre pulls off here.

Another solid entry in the George Smiley catalogue.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Included on the "Big Jubilee Read" list of 70 books by Commonwealth authors, selected to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth II.

The title alludes to the nursery rhyme and counting game Tinker Tailor.

UP NEXT: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum by Heinrich Boll

No comments: