Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

935. Pastoralia

Pastoralia
George Saunders
2000
Around 210 pages



















We finally made it to the 21st century! 90s literature was not quite as iconic as I hoped. I guess the music and television was so good that they were too busy to write great novels. We are welcomed into the current century with a short story collection, featuring stories previously published in The New Yorker.

It's a strange assortment of tales that are difficult to summarize, but suffice to say, things get pretty weird and gross. The humor was wacky and sometimes disgusting, with lots of stupid characters I didn't enjoy. The Pynchon is strong in this one.

But I won't complain too much when the stories are so brief and digestible. Just not my thing.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The A.V. Club ranked it one of the ten best short story collections of the 2000s.

UP NEXT: Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates

No comments: