Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

942. Small Remedies

Small Remedies
Shashi Deshpande
2000
Around 325 pages



















I feel as though the List is trying to trip me up with its dying gasps. This one wasn't easy to track down, and I'm lucky I came across a version online, otherwise I was going to have to shell out some cash for this one. It's like the List is extorting money from me to finally finish. And of course, I'll pay, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

After losing her son to a bombing, Madhu writes about Savitribai, who left her husband to live with her Muslim lover. The word that comes to mind here is understated, it's just kind of a low key drama about women breaking out of the roles that have been assigned to them.

It's a pretty slow novel and maybe not worth digging up, but well written enough. Just didn't make much of an impression.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Deshpande has written four children's books.

UP NEXT: After the Quake by Haruki Murakami

1 comment:

Diana said...

I am attempting to read all the books in 1001 Children's Books to Read Before You Grow Up, and I often question the thinking that was involved in choosing some inclusions. So I get this.